Selemon Barega Wins Men’s 3000m World Indoor Tour In Madrid
Selemon Barega of Ethiopia won the men’s 3000 meters in 7:34.03, beating compatriot Lemecha Girma by 0.06 seconds in a close sprint finish.
Barega avenged his recent defeats at Liévin and Torun, where Girma had won their previous two head-to-head races.
Adel Mechaal of Spain, the European indoor record holder, came in third in 7:35.26. With victories in Liévin and Torun, Girma topped the World Indoor Tour standings with 27 points.
Selemon Barega: “After two times being second without any elite speed training, this week I was targeting a push a push from 150m out. The altitude is altitude here, so I decided it was not the time to run fast. After the Olympics it was just easy training, but I put in a hard month of training and the target now is to become world champion. I hope to double 1500m and 3000m at the World indoor Championships in Belgrade”.
Selemon Barega Wins Men’s 3000m World Indoor Tour In Madrid.
- Selemon Barega – Ethiopia – 7:34.03
- Lamecha Girma – Ethiopia – 7:34.09
- Adel Mechaal – Spain – 7:35.26
- Mohamed Katir – Spain – 7:35.73
- Hugo Hay – France – 7:41.59
- Addisu Yihune Taye – Ethiopia – 7:47.53
- Jakob Kipkori Kosgei – Kenya – 7:48.32
- Sebastian Martos – Spain – 7:50.68