Dr. Kwaku Ofosu-Asare, Executive Chairman of the Accra 2023 Local Organising Committee (LOC), has revealed the criteria used to choose the sporting disciplines that will compete at the 13th African Games.
The list of 25 disciplines was announced at the Alisa Hotel in Accra on Friday, February 18, 2022, during the final session of the First Joint Technical Meeting with the LOC, the TCAG, and the AUSC.
The disciplines selected include; Football, Athletics, Boxing, Cycling, Chess, Squash, Table Tennis, Tennis, Netball, Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, Fencing, Cricket, Armwrestling, Badminton, Basketball, Field Hockey, Handball, Judo, Karate-do, Rugby, Swimming, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, and Teqball as a demonstration sport.
The criteria as enumerated by Dr. Ofosu-Asare include the following;
- Sending out forms of interest to the various confederations to complete and return for assessment.
- The confederations were required to explain the qualification procedures and processes for their various teams and individual sports.
- The LOC also took into consideration the number of teams and individual athletes to be based in Accra for the Games in their respective sports codes.
- The LOC considered the availability of facilities required for the Games.
- Availability of the number of technical officials required.
- The contribution of various international confederations towards the disciplines.
- Expectations of various sports disciplines of the LOC.
- Milestones reached by various sports disciplines with respect to qualification to major international competitions.
- The expected outcomes of the African Games.
Itís nearly impossible to find educated people in this particular subject, however, you seem like you know what youíre talking about! Thanks