Ghanaian Athletes To Camp In Inawashiro For Tokyo Olympics
100 Days To Tokyo 2020: GOC President Salutes Qualified Athletes.
Marking 100 days more before the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, Mr. Ben Nunoo Mensah, President of the Ghana Olympic Committee (GOC) has issued a statement to congratulate all the six athletes and boxers who have so far qualified for the biggest sports festival in the world. Ghanaian Athletes To Camp In Inawashiro For Tokyo Olympics
He point out rising super star, Benjamin Azamati for breaking the 22 year old national 100 meters record before qualifying.
He hoped that more athletes would qualify by May, then the full compliment of Team Ghana moves to the training camp in Inawashiro, a town in Japan where the Ghanaian champions are going to finally prepare and acclimatize before the Games. Currently Joseph Paul Amoah, Nadia Eke and Benjamin Azamati are the only three track and field athletes who have qualified for the upcoming Tokyo Olympic Games to represent Ghana.
Little history about Inawashiro
Inawashiro is a town located in Fukushima prefecture, Japan. As of 1 march 2020, the town had an estimated population of 13,810 in 5309 households and a population densityof 35 persons per km2. The total area of the town was 394.85 square kilometers (152.45 square miles). It is noted as the birthplace of the famous doctor Hideyo Noguchi, who contributed to knowledge in the fight against syphilis and yellow fever. Inawashiro has a humid continental climate characterized by warm summers and cold winters with heavy snowfall.
The average annual rainfall is 1367 mm with September as the wettest month. The temperatures are highest on average in August, at around 23.5 degree Celsius. The lowest temperature is in January at around -2.4 degree Celsius.
Some of the local attractions in Inawashiro are
- Tenkyokaku, a Meiji-period former residence of Prince Arisugawa Takehito, designated an Important Cultural Property (ICP)
- Noguchi Hideyo Memorial Hall
- Lake Inawashiro
- Former Baba Residence (Important Cultural Property)
- Former Okinsahima Villa of Prince Takamatsu (Important Cultural Property)
- Aizu –Matsudiara clan cemetery, National Historic Site.
Elevation of Inawashiro, Yama District, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan.
- Longitude: 140.104760
- Latitude: 37.5577684
- Elevation: 523 meters / 1716 feet above sea level
- Barometric Pressure: 95KPa
He expressed that the 2020 Games would be without spectators and is going to be much different due to Covid-19, however Ghanaians are going to be with the athletes in spirit and they would shine.
Currently Joseph Paul Amoah, Nadia Eke and Benjamin Azamati are the only three track and field athletes who have qualified for the upcoming Tokyo Olympic Games to represent Ghana.
- The Kumasi Open Championship Has Been Cancelled
- The Era Of Destruction Must Cease – GOC President To Media
- The Only 3 Ghanaian Athletes To Run Under 10 Seconds
- Dominic Essumang The Ghanaian Promising Future Hurdler
- Registration for Adenta – Ashiyie Race